Collection: Part Three

Research

Tags: Foundation Plus Part Three

Bibliography, 1st September 2017

Final Updated Bibliography

Books:

• Perry, G. (2013) The Vanity of Small Differences. London: Hayward Publishing.
  • Kerr, J. (2006) The Tiger Who Came To Tea. London: Harper Collins
  • (Sir) Stenton, F. (1957) The Bayeux Tapestry.  London: Phaidon Press.
  • Gibbs-Smith. C. H. (1973) The Bayeux Tapestry. New York:

Online resources / websites / blogs:

Practitioners:

Judith Kerr: writer and illustrator

Mike Mignola: writer and illustrator

Cildo Meireles: conceptual, sculpture and instillation

Suzanne Vega: singer and musician

Grayson Perry: 3D, ceramics, cross-dressing and tapestry

Visits (Museums / exhibitions / shops etc):

• Grayson Perry: The Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever! (2017) [Exhibition] Kensington Garden, London, W2 3XA, United Kingdom.
  • Medieval and Renaissance 1350-1600 [permanent display] The Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road,  London, SW7, United Kingdom

Editorial Text, 30th August 2017

Editorial Text Examples

1. Gary Gianni, Dark Horse Books

IMG_5243.jpg

• Friendly and easy to read.
  • Personal, with the writer using ‘I’.
  • Informative, it’s a short briefing on how the comic was made, and also tells us about the artist of the comic book and the experience he had with the artist.

• The text is a Times New Roman, which is a traditional font, easy to read for everyone.

2. Mike Mignola, Dark Horse Books

IMG_5263.jpg IMG_5264.jpg

• The writing is informal and friendly, as if the write is talking directly to the reader.
  • The text is written in a Times New Roman font, making reading the text easy. The first few words are in block writing, making it known that it is the first line to read. 
  • The  text is informing us about the development of the story that follows after it. It flow of the text comes in different tones of excitement that the writer is voicing. 

3. Editors Letter, Wonders with Text

Editorial Text 1.jpg

• Huge type to show that that letter is the starting point of where you read. It is also for aesthetic purposes, it is decorated with symbolisms of the topic of the text.
  • Profile image possibly of the writer of the text, it is smaller than the 'Q', which makes it look like the image is not overcrowding the page. The text is flowing the way that is mimicking the 'Q', giving the page a design flow.

4. LeCreuset: Casseroles, Borgerhoff & Lamberigts

Text Example.jpg

• The title is the same length of the text, and both the title and text is in the middle of the page, in balance.
  • The style of writing is informative and friendly in a way, it is telling us about the origins of the product and its benefits.

References:

• Mignola, M (2005) Hellboy: Strange Places. Oregon: Dark Horse Books.
  • Mignola, M. Corben, R. (2008) Hellboy: The Crooked Man and Others. Oregon: Dark Horse Books.
  • Le Creuset (2014) Le Creuset: Casseroles, Original and Traditional Recipes. Belgium: Borgerhoff & Lamberigts.
  • https://vk.com/photo-117088173_429195385 [accessed 30th August 2017]

Lizzie Finn, 12th August 2017

Stitch Illustrations

01_lizzie_finn.jpg

^Stitched collages for Vitra book ‘Select and Arrange’

• I liked how each image layered onto one another, none of them look like they are going to fall out of because of the sewing on the edge of each shape. I also liked the how some of the shapes were outlined using stitch, I would like to create my illustration in a manner that is similar to this. 
  • But instead of a semi-chaotic college piece, I would aim for my shapes to be more figure-like.

06_lizzie_finn.jpg

^Animated Nokia idents for Channel 4

• In the images, there are also a mix of monotone and bright colours, allowing the brighter colours to stand out more, maybe showing importance of the coloured ones. I feel that this is a useful way of attracting someone view towards the image.

References:

Contextual Practice, 9th August 2017

Materials Workshop

IMG_5277.jpg IMG_5278.jpg

I felt that some of the information given by my peers were useful. For the sewing needle, I had not considered for it to be something that was easily lost, but having someone write it down, I realised how true that statement was.

The calico also being a bit water resistant also was a factor that I consider to be true, because I had experimented with splattering water and ink onto calico, and it does resist the liquid sometimes.

Cildo Meireles, 4th August 2017

Insertions into Ideological Circuits Projects

Insertions into Ideological Circuits – Coca-Cola Project.jpg Insertions into Ideological Circuits- Coca-Cola Project 2.jpg

^ Insertions into Ideological Circuits: Coca-Cola Project, 1970

• These two projects were made during the time when Brazil's government oppression through military dictatorship, where words had to be spoken carefully.
  • The two projects that the artist did were, I feel, bringing awareness to the public by circulation of everyday items.
  • I thought that it was a smart way to carry out a message that you don't particularly want higher authority to find out. 

Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2– Banknote Project 2.jpg Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2– Banknote Project.jpg

^ Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2: Banknote Project, 1970

• I felt that this artwork was successful because the two items selected for this work was guaranteed to be circulated around the public/ city.

Refrences: 

Malaysian PM, 1st August 2017

Cabinet Reshuffle

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 2.40.08 AM.png

Looking at Judith Kerr’s subtle political statement within her story, gave me new ideas to add into, such as adding more symbolism to my imagery that evokes my own interpretation, like having the queen hold onto a scale, symbolising the Malaysian government and it’s corruption, because in my opinion, I feel that my countries Government is corrupt.

I found out through articles I researched that my government had made changes in the cabinet almost every year since 2015. The articles state that the changes occur during times when the members of his own party start to question where huge amounts of money has been transferred to his banks account came from. Other than that, the new members that he appoints all seem to be members that are loyal to him. I find that this is a good example of power abuse.

I feel that these new inspirations have given me new ideas to work with in my theme, and I feel that it also gives more context into my work.

References:

The Haunt, 26th July 2017

Concrete Shadows

2-Concrete-Shadow-Series-Saint-Petersburg-Russia-2015-copy.jpg 3-Concrete-Shadow-Series-Saint-Petersburg-Russia-2015.jpg

I remember that I was disappointed about the Concrete Shadow Exhibition, because I had expected that this exhibit would be displayed in a gallery or a museum. However, the exhibits turned out to be scattered around in a pub known as The Haunt. Another reason why I was disappointed is because there were no information on each display on the wall. However, we were informed that the artist of the photos will be making an appearance. 

Talking to her, I was told that the meanings behind the photos and the title can be open to interpretation, she had told me that the sharp contrast between the shadows on the concrete pavement was something that had caught her eye while she was in Russia, and decided to male a collection themed on the shadows on concrete. Another interesting fact that I found out was that the images were photographed using a smart phone camera, which surprised me, because when I saw the images, and the grainy effects that it had, I thought that a film camera had been used. I found that the shapes in the images could also be good for printmaking, the shapes can be exaggerated to form new shapes as well.

So far, Think that my idea theme for narrative seems to be talking more of a progression. I seem to be getting more ideas for it than any other theme, so I might be going for the Narrative idea.

The V&A Museum, 26th July 2017

Tapestries

The Boar and Bear Hunt.jpg

The tapestries displayed in the V&A was also quite interesting. I came across a small group in the museum and the guide was having a discussion on The Boar and Bear Hunt Tapestry, and how tapestries were used for both decorative and practical purposes.

The imagery shown is about a hunt that occurred during this time. But what interested me the most about the discussion was on the accuracy of the depictions the hunt. Such as, whether or not the hunters, who were also noblemen, wore their luxurious clothing to hunt, or if women as elegantly dressed as those on the tapestry really did accompany the men to hunt. It was deduced that the imagery of a hunt in that time could have been slightly exaggerated to make the tapestry more visually appealing, because they were displayed to decorate a room.

But, the thought of the factual recording of the narrative within the tapestry being tampered with reminded me of how information is sometimes concealed by the government and not everything is given to the public.

Refrences:

Google Arts & Culture (no date)  The Devonshire Hunting Tapsetries; Boar and Bear Hunt. Available at: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/the-devonshire-hunting-tapestries-boar-and-bear-hunt/hwFmCcIwXAxYCw [accessed 2nd August 2017, 2:21pm]

-Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2017) The Devonshire Hunting Tapsetries. Available at: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/the-devonshire-hunting-tapestries-boar-and-bear-hunt/hwFmCcIwXAxYCw [accessed 2nd August 2017, 2:21 pm]

The V&A Museum, 26th July 2017

Armours and Knights

20472745_1607854309245255_298869835_o.jpg 20464866_1607852829245403_753008328_o.jpg

In the V&A, I had gotten a good amount of sources and references for my narrative project based on the setting of Medieval Era.

20502689_1607854559245230_268395488_o.jpg.1 20495803_1607854519245234_2056070617_o.jpg

I found the relics of statues and armours most useful, as I got a bit more insight on how armour is worn and the joints and straps that connect and attach each piece together.

References: 

-Medieval and Renaissance 1350-1600 [permanent display] The Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road,  London, SW7, United Kingdom

Wellcome Collection, 25th July 2017

I Can't Help The Way I Feel (2003)

This sculpture was created to emphasise the possibility of the emotions is oneself surfacing.

IMG_5054.JPG.1 IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5064.JPG 

John Isaacs (British), I Can't Help The Way I Feel, 2003

I found this form to be very interesting, it was the first display that had caught my attention when I entered the exhibit. It may be because that I have never drawn such a bloated form before. 

Research, Narrative, 25th July 2017

Queen Mary I, 'Bloody Mary'

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 12.42.18 PM.png

Queen Mary the First of England, was also known as Bloody Mary,

due to the result of her persecuting Protestants civilians in 

attempt to restore Catholicism in England.

I thought that this fact relatable to the Queen in the lyrics of 

Suzanne Vega's song, this is because in the song, it was sang that

the Queen had killed off her soldiers without any acre for them

by waging countless battles.

I am thinking that the features of Queen Mary can maybe influence

the appearance of how the Queen will look like if I were to make a 

character out of her.

References: 

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/mary_i_queen.shtml [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:00 pm]

-https://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/queen-mary-1/ [accessed 24th July, 2:01 pm]

Research, Re-Imagine, 23rd July 2017

Protectors in my own image.

e36d896141b2cd785ed4f6fc9fe27c6f copy.jpg Dorje Shugden copy.jpg 20354151_1603738059656880_196616520_o.jpg

In my family, a few of my relatives study the practice of Tibetan Buddhism and in this religion, there beings which are called Dharma protectors, and in my Re-Imagine theme, I had thought about illustrating these beings in my own way. My design at the moment is quite simplified because I feel that the designs that are given to the deities are sometime too over-complicated, especially the image on the left, and I find that I don't know what to focus on.

20348064_1602786623085357_1322864104_o.jpg 20317218_1602786616418691_1383243515_o.jpg 20170724163301.jpg

I would also like to incorporate textile pattern designs into my illustrations as well. Right now, the idea that I am having of incorporating the patten design to my drawings is much like the floral patterns that are making out the shape of the birds in the print on the right.

References:

Books- The Best In International Textile Design JAPANESE STYLE Textile Design Patterns 2. Kyoto Shoin. Japan. Pg 17, 28, 99

Research- Narrative, 23rd July 2017

Castels

Whenever I think of the lyrics of The Queen and The Soldier, I always get the sensation of the setting of this narrative being in the Medieval Era of Kings and Queens and Knights.

IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG

^ Images of Castle in Swanage, England.

In that era, Kings and Queens are situated in castles, and I would like to design a castle for the story. I remember that I have taken photographs of castle ruins in Swanage and Said Andrews, Scotland. Each of the saddle layouts are very different but are quite spares.  At the moment, I think that I am still a little lost on how I could design a castle based on these images as the layout is vague.

Castle.JPG.2 IMG_1362.JPG.2 IMG_1357.JPG.1

^ Images of Castle in Saint Andrew, Scotland.

Publications, 30th August 2017

Publication Examples

1. Perfection vs. Creativity, Rachel Man

IMG_5152.jpg IMG_5156.jpg

• Book cover explains well what her project is about, it also hints on what her chosen BA course is, possibly textiles.
  • The images inside look very professional, and has room to breathe and to let the viewer take it in.

2. Androgyny, Enyu Luo

IMG_5247.jpg IMG_5248.jpg

• Development work and close up on texture is displayed well, I think. It shows what materials had been sewn on, and also displaying the size that is preferable for the piece.
  • The sizing on the pages also shows which image is more important to focus on.
  • Text and research looks balanced on the pages. The images shows clearly of the subject the student was exploring in his/her project.

3. Natrualis, 46&2 // Visual Sorcery

Naturals 1.jpg Naturals 2.jpg

• Images are displayed simply and symmetrically in each page.
  • Looks very professional and clean, the text look very soft and peaceful, complimenting the images. 

4. Cool Retro Vintage Magazine, AbraDesign

Vintage 1.jpg Vintage 2.jpg

• The bleed over on the double page spread clearly displays the openness and the vastness of the photo taken.
  • The title and text don't overshadow the image, there is just enough text on each page to make it balance.

5. Hellboy, Dark Horse Books

IMG_5243 copy.jpg

• More heavy on text on this page, but the illustration is present to make the page less boring with just text.
  • The image is grey with black outlining the characters, which makes it blend in with the black background, allowing the user to look at the words, which is the main focus.

References:

Serpentine Gallery, 15th August 2017

The Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever!

• In the exhibition I saw that there was a lot of diverse techniques from ceramics to sculpture, print and instillation, and I found it admiring that one man has a wide skillset.  
  • Grayson Perry's works shows all the views he has on Britain's modern society on topics about Brexit, as well as his own personal moments, like creating a shrine that marks his marriage.

IMG_5109.JPG.1 IMG_5124.jpg

^ The Digmoor Tapestry, 2016                                     ^ Red Carpet, 2017 

• I found one of one of his tapestries, Gay Black Cats MC (2017), intriguing because compared to all the other tapestries parent in the exhibition, this was the only one that wasn't finely knitted together with a lot of detail. Rather, it was different shapes cut out and sewn onto fabric.   

IMG_5134.jpg

^ Gay Black Cats, 2017

• I felt that compared to the others, this tapestry was probably a lot faster to make.
  • But I think that I will be making my tapestry in thus fashion, because I really feel that it is faster to make than colouring in images using thread.

Reference:

Grayson Perry: The Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever! (2017) [Exhibition] Kensington Garden, London, W2 3XA, United Kingdom.

Britta Marakett-Labba, 10th August 2017

Historja (2003-07)

Historja.jpg

• Historja is a 23.45 meter long embroidery piece that tell the mythology of a particular group of people called Sami people that live in Norway, Sweden, Finland and some parts in Russia.

Historja 3.jpg Historja 4.jpg

• What I liked the most of this piece is how the artist had incorporated print techniques with the stitchings.
  • I thought that it was a smart way to fill up shapes as it is much faster than if the artist decided rot fill up the space using stitch thread. Even with print, the quality of the tapestry is still very good.
  • I would like to possibly also add print into my outcome for certain areas as I feel it would help with completing my outcome faster.

References:

- Documenta14 (2017) available at: http://www.documenta14.de/en/calendar/22538/yoik-and-history [accessed 10th August 2017]

-Meissner. A, Sami Stories in Alaska (2015) available at: http://www.amymeissner.com/blog/sami-stories-in-alaska [accessed 10th August 2017, 11:46 am]

Grayson Perry, 6th August 2017

The Vanity of Small Differences (2012)

• The Vanity of Small Differences is a six tapestry series that tells a story about a character named Tim and tells the story about his upbringing and the situations he's in during the different points in his life. 

The Agony in the Car Park 2012.jpg

^The Agony in the Carpark, 2012 [Tim is in his teens here and is seen kneeling down on the right, as well as playing with a plane in the background on the left.]

• The tapestries tells the story about class mobility and the influence that it has on the aesthetic taste that people have through the years growing up. 
  • They are also very finely knitted, using a knitting device.

The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal 2012.jpg

^The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal, 2012 [At this point, Tim has a wealthy life selling his software business for a huge profit and is seen holding his child on the right.]

• There are many symbolisms and hints, as well as text displayed that gives more information about the narrative being told. Such as, in The Agony at the Carpark, there is a computer magazine sticking out of Tim's Adidas bag that shows his early interest in software. In The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal, tells of his wealth through the tablet and newspaper displayed on the kitchen table.
  • I would like to also show my narrative through symbolism similar to how Grayson Perry has done: subtle, allowing the viewer to read through the story themselves.

References: 

Research, 1st August 2017

The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 2.48.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 2.49.40 PM.png

The Tiger Who Came To Tea is a short children's story written and illustrated by Judith Kerr. It tells a story of a tiger that one day turns up in a house where a mother and her daughter are having tea, and is invited to stay and eat with them. But he eats not only their tea, but their supper and everything in that house and leaves once that was done.

Upon reading this, I noticed that I had antagonised the tiger because I felt that he was being greedy. However, I was also surprised at how cool-tempered the family of that house had taken it, and just bought more food for the house and a big can of Tiger Food if the tiger were to comeback again. This had given me the implication that the family of that house were very wealthy and kind towards the tiger.

Looking at the story generally, I found it easy to read and entertaining. But reading more into it, I thought that what the author had written could be a deeper meaning about the rich and the poor. The tiger could be the representation of the poor, as he had came to Sophia, the daughter, and her mother with an empty stomach, and the family being wealthy, had given him food to fill him up. Once the tiger had left and everything was finished, the family just ate out at a café for lunch and bought all their food back plus extra in case the tiger returned. I felt that the meaning behind this could be that the rich who have more than they need have the power to give some of what they have to those who need it more.

I felt that it was a very profound story and it being a children's book can give the children an awareness of this social status between the rich and poor if they are able to realise that moral behind this story.

References: -The Tiger Who Came To Tea (no date) available at:   

file:///Users/phngkengboon/Downloads/The_tiger_who_came_to_tea.pdf [accessed 1st August 2017, 1:04 pm]

-Wallis, L. Judith Kerr and the story behind The Tiger Who Came To Tea (2013) available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25027090 [accessed 1st August 2017]

RichMix, 26th July 2017

Animated Images

20465103_1607858019244884_709338715_o.jpg 20472482_1607857269244959_361493556_o.jpg 20465100_1607857902578229_1831112930_o.jpg

^ Hug, 2016

• I found these artworks interesting because they were animated images, created using moving images through lenticular print.
  • I found it interesting because I haven’t thought of making a moving image based on this technique even though I have seen it before.
  • I always felt that this method was used for entertaining small children, but I feel that having this in context of her statement works well, because it is giving action and we relate to that action.

20472290_1607856899244996_677643920_o.jpg refugee 1.jpg.1

^Tinder, 2016                                                                               ^Branded, 

• The artist also tackles political and social issues, such as the use of Tinder being a suffering in a way, and how refugees are being branded and discriminated(?) by people in the country they are taking refuge from.
  • However, with all of the artists artworks produced in lenticular print, made me feel that she did not explore enough with other mediums to convey her messages.
  • If she had, I would have liked to have sen them to get to know the thought/ work process of the artist.

The V&A Museum, 26th July

Inspiration for Protectors

20472341_1607856295911723_64876843_o.jpg 20464856_1607856029245083_328736955_o.jpg 20495881_1607855519245134_89526711_o.jpg

I came across this statue in the Buddhism section in the V&A, and was interested in the patterns that texturised the parts of the statue where clothing or decorative garments are.

Wellcome Collection, 25th July 2017

Heidi X: True Horror of Cloning

Heidi Kerrison's True Horror of Cloning invokes discussion on the development of genetic engineering and the questioning of the value of individualism.

IMG_5057.jpg IMG_5058.JPG

Heidi Kerrison (British), Heidi X: The True Horror of Cloning, 1998

• The artwork was created using, from what I see, collage, and attached together though stitching.
  • I found the techniques used interesting because I thought that the stitch lines added more design and visual fullness to the image. I also thought that the stitches was a creative way on attaching the collage together, I suppose that the use of said technique was to emphasis the discussion of cloning, about deconstructing and reconstructing parts together.
  • In terms of making, it shows that you don't always have to use glue to stick things down.
  • This work had given me awareness on where and how I would be stitching my outcome, and also to consider the thickness of the thread I use; wether I want it to be which and outline the inmate, or thin enough to be invisible to the eye at a distance.

Gumbasia Video, 25th July

Gumbasia, 25th July 2017

Gumbasia is a short stop-motion film, produced and directed by Art Clokey, that I came across and I thought how very entertaining it was. It is not a overly complicated film, it is basically about transforming lumps of plasticine in different shapes and sizes and sometimes in a very weird form.

Even though all the film consist is just a bunch of moving shapes, a lot of effort and patients was put into this production, because creating a stop-motion film, in 1953-55, is not an easy task. The use of plasticine was i think a good medium to use, as it is flexible and easy to mould. The music score I felt was also a good contribution to the film, it's fast-phase beat made it look like the shapes were in a way moulding to the music.

I was also amazed at how smooth each shape had formed and sometimes spliced and lengthened, and I hope to one day make an animation that is as smooth as this one. Plasticine is not a medium that I have used before and I would like to possibly explore more on this.

Refrences: 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZzRUc2C0A [accessed 25th July 2017, 12:00 pm]

-http://www.openculture.com/2014/05/watch-gumbasia-the-jazzy-stop-motion-film-that-gave-birth-to-gumby-1955.html [accessed 25th July 2017, 12:30 pm]

Research, Narrative, 24th July 2017

The Bayeux Tapestry

Tapastry 1.jpgTapastry 3.jpg

Thinking of the narrative setting of The Queen and The Soldier being in an era where knights and battles were common, I researched about battles during the Medical Era and came across one of the most well known battles called The Battle of Hastings. The reason why this battle is so famous is because battle is said to be the first battle ever to be recorded in British history; that this battle is a fact. 

The tapestry is a 203 feet-long fabric that has illustrations/ embroidery sewn onto it, giving us a visual record of how the Battle of Hastings was fought through the Normans. It is said that there has been many different versions of the event that had arisen with three or four years of King William's accession, and this result could be the Tapestry's designer following the tale that was most acceptable to who had commissioned him.

This Tapestry, I feel, conveys a strong sense of storytelling and looking at the events recorded on fabric can be like how one reads a comic book in this modern era.

-found it a little confusing on who was english and who was normandy.  

References: 

Books:

-(Sir) Stenton, F. The Bayeux Tapestry. Phaidon Press. London.

-Gibbs-Smith. C. H. The Bayeux Tapestry. Phaidon. New York.

Internet:

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ahistoryoftheworld/2010/08/the-bayeux-tapestry.shtml [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:07 PM]

-http://www.lordsandladies.org/bayeux-tapestry.htm [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:08 PM]

Research- Narrative, 23rd July 2017

The Queen and The Soldier

by Suzanne Vega

The soldier came knocking upon the queen's door
He said, "I am not fighting for you any more"
The queen knew she'd seen his face someplace before
And slowly she let him inside.

He said, "I've watched your palace up here on the hill
And I've wondered who's the woman for whom we all kill
But I am leaving tomorrow and you can do what you will
Only first I am asking you why."

Down in the long narrow hall he was led
Into her rooms with her tapestries red
And she never once took the crown from her head
She asked him there to sit down.

He said, "I see you now, and you are so very young
But I've seen more battles lost than I have battles won
And I've got this intuition, says it's all for your fun
And now will you tell me why?"

Well the young queen, she fixed him with an arrogant eye
She said, "You won't understand, and you may as well not try"
But her face was a child's, and he thought she would cry
But she closed herself up like a fan.

And she said, "I have swallowed a secret burning thread
It cuts me inside, and often I've bled"
He laid his hand then on top of her head
And he bowed her down to the ground.

"Tell me how hungry are you? How weak you must feel
As you are living here alone, and you are never revealed
But I won't march again on your battlefield"
And he took her to the window to see.

And the sun, it was gold, though the sky, it was gray
And she wanted more than she ever could say
But she knew how it frightened her, and she turned away
And would not look at his face again.

And he said, "I want to live as an honest man
To get all I deserve and to give all I can
And to love a young woman who I don't understand
Your highness, your ways are very strange."

But the crown, it had fallen, and she thought she would break
And she stood there, ashamed of the way her heart ached
She took him to the doorstep and she asked him to wait
She would only be a moment inside.

Out in the distance her order was heard
And the soldier was killed, still waiting for her word
And while the queen went on strangling in the solitude she preferred
The battle continued on.

Above is the lyrics of one of Suzzane Vega's song The Queen and The Soldier. I am thinking of incorporating this lyrics to one of my ideas for my project theme 'Narrative'.

Reference: http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/10739/ [accessed 23rd July 2017, 5:45 pm]

Research, 21st July 2017

Three Themes:

Re-Imagine

IMG_5268.jpgIMG_5269.jpg

I am thinking of re-imagining the imagery of Tibetan Buddhist protector deities. I plan on exploring pattern design as well and is thinking of incorporating it into the drawings that I will make for the protectors. In this theme, I want to expand my skills in storytelling through the characters.

At the moment, I don't know what the outcome will be for this theme, but I ma thinking about animation or sculpture, something that is three-dimensional or moving.

Narrative

IMG_5270.jpgIMG_5271.jpg

I am thinking about creating a story based on the song lyrics by Suzzane Vega titled 'The Queen and The Soldier'. The idea of this theme I have at the moment is based in the Medieval Era, where knights and battles were present.

Initially, I was going to put this idea in the theme 'Place' because I had thought of the word 'castle', which was a subject of place. But thinking of 'castle' led me to recall 'The Queen and The Soldier', and the more I thought about the idea of basing the song being a base of a project, the more it began to have a 'Narrative' feeling to the idea.

Place

IMG_5272.jpgIMG_5273.jpg

I was told once that a Roman legion had travelled under many challenges when they had set out for a voyage to see Brittania, where the Romans believed that it was a paradise where Angels lived and where Roman soldiers go when they die. They had travelled there, only to find that it was not what they had dreamed of. There, it was full of barbarians with blue faces that attempted to drive them away from their homeland.

For the theme of 'Place', I plan to make illustrative designs that tells of journey of the Romans' quest, also illustrating the challenges that they had faced and battling wavs that their boats could not withstand.

Illustrator Mike Mignola created front page designs for his comic series, creating imagery that will be significant to the story inside the book. Some of the designs are detailed, showing the imagery of buildings and trees clearly, other times the illustration are shown simply and silhouetted. I would like to also display my illustrations in this way for the illustrative designs.

grace andrew
26 August 2017, 10:08 AM
The way of explaining the workflow is very impressive.
https://embroiderydigitizingtipsntricks.blogspot.com/
1 comment