Collection: Part Three

Research

Tags: Foundation Plus Part Three

Serpentine Gallery, 15th August 2017

The Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever!

• In the exhibition I saw that there was a lot of diverse techniques from ceramics to sculpture, print and instillation, and I found it admiring that one man has a wide skillset.  
  • Grayson Perry's works shows all the views he has on Britain's modern society on topics about Brexit, as well as his own personal moments, like creating a shrine that marks his marriage.

IMG_5109.JPG.1 IMG_5124.jpg

^ The Digmoor Tapestry, 2016                                     ^ Red Carpet, 2017 

• I found one of one of his tapestries, Gay Black Cats MC (2017), intriguing because compared to all the other tapestries parent in the exhibition, this was the only one that wasn't finely knitted together with a lot of detail. Rather, it was different shapes cut out and sewn onto fabric.   

IMG_5134.jpg

^ Gay Black Cats, 2017

• I felt that compared to the others, this tapestry was probably a lot faster to make.
  • But I think that I will be making my tapestry in thus fashion, because I really feel that it is faster to make than colouring in images using thread.

Reference:

Grayson Perry: The Most Popular Art Exhibition Ever! (2017) [Exhibition] Kensington Garden, London, W2 3XA, United Kingdom.

Britta Marakett-Labba, 10th August 2017

Historja (2003-07)

Historja.jpg

Historja 3.jpg Historja 4.jpg

References:

- Documenta14 (2017) available at: http://www.documenta14.de/en/calendar/22538/yoik-and-history [accessed 10th August 2017]

-Meissner. A, Sami Stories in Alaska (2015) available at: http://www.amymeissner.com/blog/sami-stories-in-alaska [accessed 10th August 2017, 11:46 am]

Cildo Meireles, 4th August 2017

Insertions into Ideological Circuits Projects

Insertions into Ideological Circuits – Coca-Cola Project.jpg Insertions into Ideological Circuits- Coca-Cola Project 2.jpg

^ Insertions into Ideological Circuits: Coca-Cola Project, 1970

• These two projects were made during the time when Brazil's government oppression through military dictatorship, where words had to be spoken carefully.
  • The two projects that the artist did were, I feel, bringing awareness to the public by circulation of everyday items.
  • I thought that it was a smart way to carry out a message that you don't particularly want higher authority to find out. 

Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2– Banknote Project 2.jpg Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2– Banknote Project.jpg

^ Insertions into Ideological Circuits 2: Banknote Project, 1970

• I felt that this artwork was successful because the two items selected for this work was guaranteed to be circulated around the public/ city.

Refrences: 

Malaysian PM, 1st August 2017

Cabinet Reshuffle

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 2.40.08 AM.png

Looking at Judith Kerr’s subtle political statement within her story, gave me new ideas to add into, such as adding more symbolism to my imagery that evokes my own interpretation, like having the queen hold onto a scale, symbolising the Malaysian government and it’s corruption, because in my opinion, I feel that my countries Government is corrupt.

I found out through articles I researched that my government had made changes in the cabinet almost every year since 2015. The articles state that the changes occur during times when the members of his own party start to question where huge amounts of money has been transferred to his banks account came from. Other than that, the new members that he appoints all seem to be members that are loyal to him. I find that this is a good example of power abuse.

I feel that these new inspirations have given me new ideas to work with in my theme, and I feel that it also gives more context into my work.

References:

The Haunt, 26th July 2017

Concrete Shadows

2-Concrete-Shadow-Series-Saint-Petersburg-Russia-2015-copy.jpg 3-Concrete-Shadow-Series-Saint-Petersburg-Russia-2015.jpg

I found the sharp shadows in the various images shown was very distinct a good concept, I think, for print designs. I also feel that the shapes can be manipulated and reshaped to create new imagery/ prints.

The V&A Museum, 26th July 2017

Tapestries

The Boar and Bear Hunt.jpg

The tapestries displayed in the V&A was also quite interesting. I came across a small group in the museum and the guide was having a discussion on The Boar and Bear Hunt Tapestry, and how tapestries were used for both decorative and practical purposes.

The imagery shown is about a hunt that occurred during this time. But what interested me the most about the discussion was on the accuracy of the depictions the hunt. Such as, whether or not the hunters, who were also noblemen, wore their luxurious clothing to hunt, or if women as elegantly dressed as those on the tapestry really did accompany the men to hunt. It was deduced that the imagery of a hunt in that time could have been slightly exaggerated to make the tapestry more visually appealing, because they were displayed to decorate a room.

But, the thought of the factual recording of the narrative within the tapestry being tampered with reminded me of how information is sometimes concealed by the government and not everything is given to the public.

Refrences:

Google Arts & Culture (no date)  The Devonshire Hunting Tapsetries; Boar and Bear Hunt. Available at: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/the-devonshire-hunting-tapestries-boar-and-bear-hunt/hwFmCcIwXAxYCw [accessed 2nd August 2017, 2:21pm]

-Victoria and Albert Museum, London (2017) The Devonshire Hunting Tapsetries. Available at: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/the-devonshire-hunting-tapestries-boar-and-bear-hunt/hwFmCcIwXAxYCw [accessed 2nd August 2017, 2:21 pm]

The V&A Museum, 26th July 2017

Armours and Knights

20472745_1607854309245255_298869835_o.jpg 20464866_1607852829245403_753008328_o.jpg

In the V&A, I had gotten a good amount of sources and references for my narrative project based on the setting of Medieval Era.

20502689_1607854559245230_268395488_o.jpg.1 20495803_1607854519245234_2056070617_o.jpg

I found the relics of statues and armours most useful, as I got a bit more insight on how armour is worn and the joints and straps that connect and attach each piece together.

References: 

-Medieval and Renaissance 1350-1600 [permanent display] The Victoria and Albert Museum, Cromwell Road,  London, SW7, United Kingdom

Wellcome Collection, 25th July 2017

I Can't Help The Way I Feel (2003)

This sculpture was created to emphasise the possibility of the emotions is oneself surfacing.

IMG_5054.JPG.1 IMG_5061.JPG IMG_5064.JPG 

John Isaacs (British), I Can't Help The Way I Feel, 2003

I found this form to be very interesting, it was the first display that had caught my attention when I entered the exhibit. It may be because that I have never drawn such a bloated form before. 

Research, Narrative, 25th July 2017

Queen Mary I, 'Bloody Mary'

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 12.42.18 PM.png

Queen Mary the First of England, was also known as Bloody Mary,

due to the result of her persecuting Protestants civilians in 

attempt to restore Catholicism in England.

I thought that this fact relatable to the Queen in the lyrics of 

Suzanne Vega's song, this is because in the song, it was sang that

the Queen had killed off her soldiers without any acre for them

by waging countless battles.

I am thinking that the features of Queen Mary can maybe influence

the appearance of how the Queen will look like if I were to make a 

character out of her.

References: 

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/mary_i_queen.shtml [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:00 pm]

-https://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/queen-mary-1/ [accessed 24th July, 2:01 pm]

Research, Re-Imagine, 23rd July 2017

Protectors in my own image.

e36d896141b2cd785ed4f6fc9fe27c6f copy.jpg Dorje Shugden copy.jpg 20354151_1603738059656880_196616520_o.jpg

In my family, a few of my relatives study the practice of Tibetan Buddhism and in this religion, there beings which are called Dharma protectors, and in my Re-Imagine theme, I had thought about illustrating these beings in my own way. My design at the moment is quite simplified because I feel that the designs that are given to the deities are sometime too over-complicated, especially the image on the left, and I find that I don't know what to focus on.

20348064_1602786623085357_1322864104_o.jpg 20317218_1602786616418691_1383243515_o.jpg 20170724163301.jpg

I would also like to incorporate textile pattern designs into my illustrations as well. Right now, the idea that I am having of incorporating the patten design to my drawings is much like the floral patterns that are making out the shape of the birds in the print on the right.

References:

Books- The Best In International Textile Design JAPANESE STYLE Textile Design Patterns 2. Kyoto Shoin. Japan. Pg 17, 28, 99

Research- Narrative, 23rd July 2017

Castels

Whenever I think of the lyrics of The Queen and The Soldier, I always get the sensation of the setting of this narrative being in the Medieval Era of Kings and Queens and Knights.

IMG_4834.JPG IMG_4835.JPG

^ Images of Castle in Swanage, England.

In that era, Kings and Queens are situated in castles, and I would like to design a castle for the story. I remember that I have taken photographs of castle ruins in Swanage and Said Andrews, Scotland. Each of the saddle layouts are very different but are quite spares.  At the moment, I think that I am still a little lost on how I could design a castle based on these images as the layout is vague.

Castle.JPG.2 IMG_1362.JPG.2 IMG_1357.JPG.1

^ Images of Castle in Saint Andrew, Scotland.

Lizzie Finn, 12th August 2013

Stitch Illustrations

01_lizzie_finn.jpg

^Stitched collages for Vitra book ‘Select and Arrange’

06_lizzie_finn.jpg

^Animated Nokia idents for Channel 4

Grayson Perry, 6th August 2017

The Vanity of Small Differences (2012)

• The Vanity of Small Differences is a six tapestry series that tells a story about a character named Tim and tells the story about his upbringing and the situations he's in during the different points in his life. 

The Agony in the Car Park 2012.jpg

^The Agony in the Carpark, 2012 [Tim is in his teens here and is seen kneeling down on the right, as well as playing with a plane in the background on the left.]

• The tapestries tells the story about class mobility and the influence that it has on the aesthetic taste that people have through the years growing up. 
  • They are also very finely knitted, using a knitting device.

The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal 2012.jpg

^The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal, 2012 [At this point, Tim has a wealthy life selling his software business for a huge profit and is seen holding his child on the right.]

• There are many symbolisms and hints, as well as text displayed that gives more information about the narrative being told. Such as, in The Agony at the Carpark, there is a computer magazine sticking out of Tim's Adidas bag that shows his early interest in software. In The Annunciation of the Virgin Deal, tells of his wealth through the tablet and newspaper displayed on the kitchen table.
  • I would like to also show my narrative through symbolism similar to how Grayson Perry has done: subtle, allowing the viewer to read through the story themselves.

References: 

Research, 1st August 2017

The Tiger Who Came To Tea by Judith Kerr

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 2.48.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 2.49.40 PM.png

The Tiger Who Came To Tea is a short children's story written and illustrated by Judith Kerr. It tells a story of a tiger that one day turns up in a house where a mother and her daughter are having tea, and is invited to stay and eat with them. But he eats not only their tea, but their supper and everything in that house and leaves once that was done.

Upon reading this, I noticed that I had antagonised the tiger because I felt that he was being greedy. However, I was also surprised at how cool-tempered the family of that house had taken it, and just bought more food for the house and a big can of Tiger Food if the tiger were to comeback again. This had given me the implication that the family of that house were very wealthy and kind towards the tiger.

Looking at the story generally, I found it easy to read and entertaining. But reading more into it, I thought that what the author had written could be a deeper meaning about the rich and the poor. The tiger could be the representation of the poor, as he had came to Sophia, the daughter, and her mother with an empty stomach, and the family being wealthy, had given him food to fill him up. Once the tiger had left and everything was finished, the family just ate out at a café for lunch and bought all their food back plus extra in case the tiger returned. I felt that the meaning behind this could be that the rich who have more than they need have the power to give some of what they have to those who need it more.

I felt that it was a very profound story and it being a children's book can give the children an awareness of this social status between the rich and poor if they are able to realise that moral behind this story.

References: -The Tiger Who Came To Tea (no date) available at:   

file:///Users/phngkengboon/Downloads/The_tiger_who_came_to_tea.pdf [accessed 1st August 2017, 1:04 pm]

-Wallis, L. Judith Kerr and the story behind The Tiger Who Came To Tea (2013) available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25027090 [accessed 1st August 2017]

RichMix, 26th July 2017

Animated Images

20465103_1607858019244884_709338715_o.jpg 20472482_1607857269244959_361493556_o.jpg 20465100_1607857902578229_1831112930_o.jpg

^ Hug, 2016

• I found these artworks interesting because they were animated images, created using moving images through lenticular print.
  • I found it interesting because I haven’t thought of making a moving image based on this technique even though I have seen it before.
  • I always felt that this method was used for entertaining small children, but I feel that having this in context of her statement works well, because it is giving action and we relate to that action.

20472290_1607856899244996_677643920_o.jpg refugee 1.jpg.1

^Tinder, 2016                                                                               ^Branded, 

• The artist also tackles political and social issues, such as the use of Tinder being a suffering in a way, and how refugees are being branded and discriminated(?) by people in the country they are taking refuge from.
  • However, with all of the artists artworks produced in lenticular print, made me feel that she did not explore enough with other mediums to convey her messages.
  • If she had, I would have liked to have sen them to get to know the thought/ work process of the artist.

The V&A Museum, 26th July

Inspiration for Protectors

20472341_1607856295911723_64876843_o.jpg 20464856_1607856029245083_328736955_o.jpg 20495881_1607855519245134_89526711_o.jpg

I came across this statue in the Buddhism section in the V&A, and was interested in the patterns that texturised the parts of the statue where clothing or decorative garments are.

Wellcome Collection, 25th July 2017

Heidi X: True Horror of Cloning

Heidi Kerrison's True Horror of Cloning invokes discussion on the development of genetic engineering and the questioning of the value of individualism.

IMG_5057.jpg IMG_5058.JPG

Heidi Kerrison (British), Heidi X: The True Horror of Cloning, 1998

• The artwork was created using, from what I see, collage, and attached together though stitching.
  • I found the techniques used interesting because I thought that the stitch lines added more design and visual fullness to the image. I also thought that the stitches was a creative way on attaching the collage together, I suppose that the use of said technique was to emphasis the discussion of cloning, about deconstructing and reconstructing parts together.
  • In terms of making, it shows that you don't always have to use glue to stick things down.
  • This work had given me awareness on where and how I would be stitching my outcome, and also to consider the thickness of the thread I use; wether I want it to be which and outline the inmate, or thin enough to be invisible to the eye at a distance.

Gumbasia Video, 25th July

Gumbasia, 25th July 2017

Gumbasia is a short stop-motion film, produced and directed by Art Clokey, that I came across and I thought how very entertaining it was. It is not a overly complicated film, it is basically about transforming lumps of plasticine in different shapes and sizes and sometimes in a very weird form.

Even though all the film consist is just a bunch of moving shapes, a lot of effort and patients was put into this production, because creating a stop-motion film, in 1953-55, is not an easy task. The use of plasticine was i think a good medium to use, as it is flexible and easy to mould. The music score I felt was also a good contribution to the film, it's fast-phase beat made it look like the shapes were in a way moulding to the music.

I was also amazed at how smooth each shape had formed and sometimes spliced and lengthened, and I hope to one day make an animation that is as smooth as this one. Plasticine is not a medium that I have used before and I would like to possibly explore more on this.

Refrences: 

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZzRUc2C0A [accessed 25th July 2017, 12:00 pm]

-http://www.openculture.com/2014/05/watch-gumbasia-the-jazzy-stop-motion-film-that-gave-birth-to-gumby-1955.html [accessed 25th July 2017, 12:30 pm]

Research, Narrative, 24th July 2017

The Bayeux Tapestry

Tapastry 1.jpgTapastry 3.jpg

Thinking of the narrative setting of The Queen and The Soldier being in an era where knights and battles were common, I researched about battles during the Medical Era and came across one of the most well known battles called The Battle of Hastings. The reason why this battle is so famous is because battle is said to be the first battle ever to be recorded in British history; that this battle is a fact. 

The tapestry is a 203 feet-long fabric that has illustrations/ embroidery sewn onto it, giving us a visual record of how the Battle of Hastings was fought through the Normans. It is said that there has been many different versions of the event that had arisen with three or four years of King William's accession, and this result could be the Tapestry's designer following the tale that was most acceptable to who had commissioned him.

This Tapestry, I feel, conveys a strong sense of storytelling and looking at the events recorded on fabric can be like how one reads a comic book in this modern era.

-found it a little confusing on who was english and who was normandy.  

References: 

Books:

-(Sir) Stenton, F. The Bayeux Tapestry. Phaidon Press. London.

-Gibbs-Smith. C. H. The Bayeux Tapestry. Phaidon. New York.

Internet:

-http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ahistoryoftheworld/2010/08/the-bayeux-tapestry.shtml [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:07 PM]

-http://www.lordsandladies.org/bayeux-tapestry.htm [accessed 24th July 2017, 2:08 PM]

Research- Narrative, 23rd July 2017

The Queen and The Soldier

by Suzanne Vega

The soldier came knocking upon the queen's door
He said, "I am not fighting for you any more"
The queen knew she'd seen his face someplace before
And slowly she let him inside.

He said, "I've watched your palace up here on the hill
And I've wondered who's the woman for whom we all kill
But I am leaving tomorrow and you can do what you will
Only first I am asking you why."

Down in the long narrow hall he was led
Into her rooms with her tapestries red
And she never once took the crown from her head
She asked him there to sit down.

He said, "I see you now, and you are so very young
But I've seen more battles lost than I have battles won
And I've got this intuition, says it's all for your fun
And now will you tell me why?"

Well the young queen, she fixed him with an arrogant eye
She said, "You won't understand, and you may as well not try"
But her face was a child's, and he thought she would cry
But she closed herself up like a fan.

And she said, "I have swallowed a secret burning thread
It cuts me inside, and often I've bled"
He laid his hand then on top of her head
And he bowed her down to the ground.

"Tell me how hungry are you? How weak you must feel
As you are living here alone, and you are never revealed
But I won't march again on your battlefield"
And he took her to the window to see.

And the sun, it was gold, though the sky, it was gray
And she wanted more than she ever could say
But she knew how it frightened her, and she turned away
And would not look at his face again.

And he said, "I want to live as an honest man
To get all I deserve and to give all I can
And to love a young woman who I don't understand
Your highness, your ways are very strange."

But the crown, it had fallen, and she thought she would break
And she stood there, ashamed of the way her heart ached
She took him to the doorstep and she asked him to wait
She would only be a moment inside.

Out in the distance her order was heard
And the soldier was killed, still waiting for her word
And while the queen went on strangling in the solitude she preferred
The battle continued on.

Above is the lyrics of one of Suzzane Vega's song The Queen and The Soldier. I am thinking of incorporating this lyrics to one of my ideas for my project theme 'Narrative'.

Reference: http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/10739/ [accessed 23rd July 2017, 5:45 pm]